Wednesday, December 14, 2011

High School of the Dead impressions - More violence...and way more fan service


Now that I have some more free time late at night, I'm finally getting back into my anime routine. I knocked out Angel Beats without any problem, and last night I had a chance to check out a few more episodes of High School of the Dead. I'm still on the first disc, but I'm definitely close to wrapping it up.

I can't think of a better show to contrast Angel Beats with. Angel Beats is a deep, engaging and philosophical series for those that are willing to put the time in with it. High School of the Dead is exactly what it looks like at first glance. It's loud, flashy, pretty, sexy and straight to the point.

What has my latest viewing brought me? I got more of just what I expected. There's a ton of zombie bashing with blood flying everywhere. There's a lot of pervy talk among the nerdier male role and the rest of the cast. Of course, there's a ton of fan service thrown in as well.

Actually, there's way more than fan service in one of the episodes I saw. Eventually we see most of the high school girls and one teacher take up residence in a friend's apartment. What's the first thing they do when they get there? They all take baths together, of course! This is an excuse to show almost every part of the girls you can imagine. Fan-service to the limit...but the limit is skipped over by the teacher.

Since the teacher is over 18, she can run around completely naked. The girls in the bath scene have their nipples covered up...barely. The teacher though, she's showing full frontal for most of the scene. Yes, this show sets out to give the guy audience exactly what they want from a popcorn movie...sexy and violence.

Really, if you're looking for more from this show, I don't think you're going to get it. I'm not done with the series yet, but I'm thinking High School of the Dead sets out to be nothing more than popcorn fodder, and that's just fine with me. I like to see that kind of mindless content from time to time. It's good for a smile and a laugh.

Of course, if the show becomes more than that as it continues, I'll be sure to address it!

1 comment:

  1. Yeeeeeeah I guess that's what happens when you watch the uncensored version XD

    ReplyDelete