Tuesday, January 3, 2012

My first anime of 2012 starts tonight: Clannad


I'm going to do a much better job of chronicling the anime that I watch this year. I'm also going to make it a point to start and finish a series before I jump into a new one. I screwed myself over by jumping all over the place with anime last year. This year a better focus will help me to understand and appreciate the shows I'm watching.

As I said a few days back, I was lucky enough to get the Blu-ray version of Clannad for Christmas. It's not exactly the cheapest set, which is why I was surprised to actually get it as a gift. I plan to put the series to good use now, and I figure it's perfect to kick off the new year with.

I continue to hear great things about Clannad. The thing is, I've been trying to stay away from big details on the series. I've been basing my interest on impressions that others have posted online. It seems that the series manages to pull an emotional response from even the most hardened viewers out there, which signifies something special to me.

Was Clannad worth your time? Leave a comment and let me know. I'm going to let you know if I find it worth my time later tonight!

5 comments:

  1. Oh yeah Clannad was worth my time. Clannad and AS both start off slow, but as time goes by they get better. Clannad really isn't sad in my opinion. It's more on the comedy side.

    Now if you continue on with AS, well that's another story. This is where the drama part of Clannad kicks in. I found my self liking it, then not liking, then liking it, then not liking it, then saying um what? The ending is, well... I'll let you find that one out.

    And you say you only watch dubs. Well I haven't seen it dub'd. I only hope they do a good job translating the emotions and personalities of the characters because that's a very big factor on how you will interpret the show.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I recently watched Clannad and Clannad After Story (it was actually my last anime of 2011) and it was definitely worth my time.
    Clannad is a bittersweet and heartwarming story, really. It can be a bit too cutesy at some times, but the overall outcome in the telling of the story as well as character development outweighs any extra moe that gets thrown your way.

    That being said, watching just Clannad is fine, but I recommend watching After Story as well, especially if you found yourself liking the characters in the first series. While just Clannad has its touching moments, After Story is definitely the series that hits most everyone the hardest with happiness, sadness, and a soul piercing story.
    This is coming from someone who was very skeptical of the series before I saw, because like you, I heard all the hype, accepted the challenge, and came out of it humbled and in awe.

    Best of luck! I hope you enjoy it. ^_^ I've heard the dub is not the best, so if you find yourself annoyed with the dubbed voices, switch to sub, which is much more enjoyable, imho.

    ReplyDelete
  3. You are in for a real treat. Clannad is one of the best anime series of the last decade. It's really incredible. After Story had me in tears on more than one occasion.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Shouldn't you finish other anime before starting a new one?

    Just Saiyan.

    ReplyDelete
  5. There's no better way to start the year.
    Clannad is a masterpiece.

    ReplyDelete