Thursday, July 14, 2011

Anime that boggles your mind

Anime can be a pretty tough form of entertainment to get into.  It has a lot to do with the cultural differences between Japan and the rest of the world.  What is normally accepted and understood in Japan might make no sense here.  Anime has a lot of this content, but fans have come to know and realize what all these things mean.  When you understand what all those quirks are about and still don't understand an anime, something is up!

I don't know about you, but I feel that anime features usually explain plot/subplot through some pretty unique methods.  Characters won't come out and say exactly how they are feeling or what their methods are.  You might see a few flashes of what seem to be random content inserted into an anime, and then a few episodes later you'll start to piece together what everything means.  To think of the lengths that anime creators go to make sophisticated stories boggles my mind!

9 times out of 10 we see anime that really makes us think, so long as you're looking for that type of anime.  Every once in awhile you'll get an anime that really seems like it's trying to make a statement, but the method of its message just isn't coming through.  You'll watch and watch, and even by the end you feel that what you've seen just doesn't make any sense.  I know this has happened to me before!


The biggest culprit I can think of (personally) is Dead Leaves.  I have watched this anime a number of times, and while I do get the basic plot and storyline, there are still some things that just don't make sense to me.  Lines that characters say, visuals that seem to be completely out of place.  I don't know if this means I'm just dense, or perhaps the ideas the creative team put forth just didn't come together in the end.  I'm actually more willing to think that the mistake is on my end!

What anime have you seen that still keeps you scratching your head?  No matter how many times you watch, you are still confused about certain elements.  Do you think it has something to do with you, or did the animators reach a bit too far beyond their capabilities?

No comments:

Post a Comment