Monday, September 5, 2011

Anime: The Pefect Medium For Sci-Fi?

Are sci-fi themed movies still considered nerdy? I can't keep up with today's trends anymore. I know that when I was a kid, sci-fi was definitely enjoyed by a crowd deemed quite nerdy. That definition was fine with me, because I knew what I was watching was quite enjoyable! Label it as you will, and I'll enjoy it all the same.

I went on being a sci-fi fan for quite some time, and then I was introduced into the world of anime. Little did I know at the time that anime and sci-fi were like chocolate and peanut butter. Back in the day, anime features were largely sci-fi based, with lots of space exploration, technology and characters from far-off lands. When I found out that that aspect of anime existed, I was in heaven.


Of course, there were a few features in particular that sealed the deal for me. Ghost in the Shell is one of the greatest sci-fi films to ever exist, and it will hold that title from now until the end of time. No one can ever take that title away from Ghost in the Shell, as it continues to be celebrated and analyzed to this very day.

The same can be said for Neon Genesis Evangelion. What an absolutely amazing sci-fi series. I think it's such an amazing series because it deals with all sorts of existential ideas within the sci-fi setting. It helps you to really come in touch with the far-out ideas that the series proposes. It doesn't hurt that the series is gorgeous and action-packed as well!

I truly do believe that the anime industry has a leg-up when it comes to the sci-fi genre. Today's anime may not focus on the sci-fi genre like it used to, but there are still features out there that jump in. What are some of your favorite sci-fi anime? Do you feel that sci-fi anime manages to best what live-action has tackled?

1 comment:

  1. Yeah I think it sci-fi really is better in anime. In live-action, you have to blend sci-fi with real life and it may not always flow. But with anime you don't have to blend, because it's all made with a computer.

    ReplyDelete