Tuesday, September 27, 2011

Chances of another Dragon Quest-related anime are slim

"The players themselves have always been the main characters in the Dragon Quest series, and I think that each person who has played a game in the Dragon Quest series has a unique emotional experience. We've tried to turn Dragon Quest and spin-offs of it into anime before, but I think it's difficult to create an anime that can really resonate with each player's unique feelings." - Dragon Quest Monsters: Joker 2 producer Taichi Inuzuka

If you follow the video game series Dragon Quest, you would think that another anime adventure would be perfectly in line. The series is often promoted with anime vignettes and other anime short stories, but the producer of DQM:J2 clearly feels nailing the all-important Dragon Quest feeling in anime form is something that hasn't quite been accomplished yet.

I'd love to see another Dragon Quest anime feature, if only to boost my interest in the game series itself. Traditional RPGs are always quite rough on me, but if I had a story and characters to really attach myself to through another means, I'd be more inclined to grind my way through Dragon Quest games.

As it stands, it looks like the only anime-related Dragon Quest adventures will be the ones that are already out there. Who knows what will happen 20 years from now, but as of today things are looking quite dire. At least the game series continues to thrive on!

1 comment:

  1. I have a feeling if they release one it will be very lack luster like the .hack ones. Where they make it so unfulfilling so you play the games.

    ReplyDelete