Sunday, September 11, 2011

The weird world of CG anime

There are quite a few reasons why I consider anime to be absolutely gorgeous. I think about all the time that animators put into an anime to achieve that specific look, and it really starts to hit me hard. All those people working with traditional paper animation and computer elements, it blows my mind. The beauty of all that hard work really shines through with some amazing visuals. Thankfully, the world of computers has helped to make an animator's job that much easier.

That's all well and good, so long as the animation house is focusing in on a more traditional style of anime animation. My issues come in when a company takes a direction of CG-style anime characters and design. To put it in simpler terms, anime that looks like Toy Story, but with anime design qualities.


Anime seems to have an odd fascination with CG elements. I can remember the computer-generated elements in the original Golgo 13, and even then I thought the design choice was cheesy. It just doesn't flow with the rest of the movie, and truly breaks up the on-screen action. Unfortunately, many anime creators have continued on with this approach, sprinkling their series' with bits of CG here and there.

Does this break up the flow of an anime for anyone else. When I see CG married with the more traditional anime style, it screws with my mind. It takes me out of the world and shows something that clearly doesn't move or flow with the rest of the animation. Perhaps I'm just being too nit-picky?

3 comments:

  1. Watch Tiger & Bunny, your thoughts will change.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Damn mattmagician you wrote that before I did!

    Tiger & Bunny's action scenes and environments are mostly CG, but it's totally not obvious. Great story and music too, I think you might like it. =D

    Here's a PV to introduce you to one of the greatest anime this era:
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZsyBBWc5jEA

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yeah I think that looks so horrid because the anime itself is so old. I think it can be pulled off today if used in moderation.

    ReplyDelete