Thursday, September 1, 2011

Blu-ray/DVD combos: The perfect way to spread anime

Yesterday I did a feature on the pairing of DVD and Blu-ray releases into one set. While I was questioning why this move was made, reader ImThatGuy took a different approach to the situation. Rather than complain about it, he took a comment I made in my article and really ran with it.

Look at it like this: now you have a copy to give to someone less fortunate and also a) can't afford to buy it themselves, or b) don't own a blu-ray player. This could actually be used as a tool to help spread the love for anime. People may watch something they received for free, rather then what they would of had to pay for.

As silly as it might sound, I never really looked at it that way. I did indeed talk about the bundle releases as an option for when you're lending a friend an anime, but I never looked it as a way to spread anime in general. Keeping one copy for yourself and giving away the other is a great idea!

What better way to get people into anime than by giving them free content to check out? I know that when something's free, it's quite hard to not give it a shot. On top of that, I give it more of a shot than usual because I didn't pay squat for it. I'm thinking a lot of other people feel the same way, which would make it that much easier for anime fans to get their foot in the door with newcomers.

This is definitely an idea that I'm going to try out. I'll be reaching out to those in my circle that I know aren't into anime, and I'll be giving them free content to give a shot. Hopefully this leads to a few more people having their minds changed!

No comments:

Post a Comment