Monday, August 29, 2011

Come for the anime, stay for the tchotchkes!

Tchotchke (pronounced /'tʃɒtʃkɨ/ choch-kee) are small toys, gewgaws, knickknacks, baubles, lagniappes, trinkets, or kitsch. The term has a connotation of worthlessness or disposability, as well as tackiness,[1][2] and has long been used by Jewish-Americans and in the regional speech of New York City. - Wikipedia


I am an absolute sucker for tchotchkes, no matter where they come from. In the video game industry, a lot of media look forward to picking up all kinds of swag from E3 and other trade shows. It's one of the big perks of those events, but gaming isn't the only industry that shells out tchotchkes by the thousands!

What's better than heading out to pick up the latest anime DVD/Blu-ray release, and finding a special little something extra tucked away in the box?! Half the time I don't even know these sets come with any goodies inside, since I'm just interested in the video content itself. With that said, I can't help but fall in love with this meaningless junk!

Most of the time you'll find some sort of charm or keychain tucked away inside these box sets. Just recently, I was surprised to find a Rideback keychain in the box set release. Lucky for me, I have a necklace that I've been wearing for about 15 years now, and I throw all kinds of random stuff on there. The Rideback keychain found itself a nice home rather quick!

What was your favorite bit of anime tchotchke that you've picked up over the years? Perhaps you grabbed something from one of the many anime expos out there? Feel free to let us know where it came from, how you display it and why you love it so much!

2 comments:

  1. I love the key chains that came with my original Burst Angel box set. I still have them on my key chain after all these years.

    That said, the weirdest tchotchkes that I've ever received from anime box sets are the girls panties that came with both the Najica and Shuffle boxes.

    ReplyDelete