Wednesday, August 24, 2011

Shocking twists and turns

I think I'm starting to see more and more reasons why I like anime.  There are a bunch of surface reasons as to why I enjoy anime, but there are many more deeper reasons.  As I run this blog, those deeply hidden reasons are coming to the surface.  Each day I think about anime a little bit more, and with each of those days I come to realize the elements of anime that really speak to me.

I believe that moreso than any other type of TV programs, anime series' are willing to take chances.  Shows here in the states are very, very worried about what the audience wants.  To a degree that's a good thing, but when you follow fans 100% of the time, you take the story in directions that simply aren't what's best for the show.  Anime doesn't seem to do that, but it also respects the viewers.

Most anime series I see aren't filled with ridiculous twists and turns just to shock viewers.  What I do see are shocking revelations that actually make sense for the story you're seeing.  No person in an anime is safe, no matter if they're a lead character or a supporting role.  Wherever the story needs to go is going to happen, and anyone is expendable along the way.

What anime series' have you seen with shocking twists?  How many of them did you see coming?  Do you also agree that anime seems to take more chances and bold directions with their stories, or am I just not watching the right American shows?

1 comment:

  1. "No person in an anime is safe, no matter if they're a lead character or a supporting role."

    Yeah I hate how it's like that :P. The main character dying ruins it for me every time.

    ReplyDelete