Monday, August 15, 2011

Japan losing Japan's touch?

I came across a really interesting article earlier today that takes a look at the current trends in games and anime coming from Japan.  Japan indeed used to be the king of the gaming scene, with anime-styled and related games coming from every nook and cranny of the industry.  That sort of style used to be the king of content coming from Japan, but nowadays that doesn't seem to be true.

Fans of both anime and games seem to think that Japan's contributions aren't really hitting home with the style that they used to have.  It's almost like they Japanese creators are losing their mojo...the stuff that makes them Japanese.  Unique ideas and innovative approaches to storytelling are now being pushed aside for a more Western-style design.

Obviously there are exceptions to the rule, but I think there's a bit of an argument to be made for Japan not having that same sparkle that it used to.  Some companies are trying, but they're fighting a wave of 'me-too-content.  Please make sure to check out the article below before you comment, since that's the feature that inspired me to share my two cents.

1 comment:

  1. Alright I read the article :P.

    Now what was said... Eh idk... From an anime standpoint I do not think they are loosing their mojo. Anime is still very Japanese, and it's shown in many of new shows each season, such as the setting, culture, and other aspects.

    And I don't mean to be mean, but the guy who wrote that article may just be feeling the nostalgia effect... If you get what I'm saying ;o

    ReplyDelete