Wednesday, August 10, 2011

Well, wasn't that a pleasant surprise?

I've watched all kinds of anime over the years.  I've seen features that have blown me away and will forever stay with me.  I've also seen some shows and movies that just weren't very good.  They can't all be winners, of course.  You have to make informed decisions on what you plan to watch and experience.  With that said, sometimes we have to go into an anime blind to what reviewers and fans are saying.  Sometimes that makes the experience more fun!

That's kind of my case with High School of the Dead.  While I did read a handful of reviews, I didn't read details of what the anime was actually about.  I mean, I could figure out the basic story from the title.  It's not that tough to see that we're dealing with zombies and high school kids, but outside of that the anime was quite a mystery to me.  After reading the reviews and thinking things over, I decided to jump in.

As you know from my impressions last night, I really do like what I've seen so far.  I don't want to judge the entire series on the 2 episodes I've watched, but I am very optimistic right now.  I see some great things that the show could do and some interesting story paths that could be taken.  There's nothing quite like a pleasant surprise in anime, just as this feature was.

Isn't it nice to watch an anime not knowing what to expect, and come out of the experience pleasantly surprised?  The only thing that makes it better is expecting an anime to be a bit dull and boring, but to come out of it with a smile on your face and a great impression.  Sometimes you just have to go with your gut and ignore what the impressions and reviews say.  More often than not, I think you'll find yourself pleasantly surprised.

2 comments:

  1. I mean come on, zombies are all the rage right now, how can it not be good >_>.

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is exactly what happened to me with Highschool of the Dead. It did end suddenly, and it was shallow and shameless, but I liked it.

    ReplyDelete