Tuesday, August 16, 2011

The weirdest anime you've ever seen

Some people might consider that title an oxymoron!  Aren't all anime features weird in some way?  We know that not to be true, but there are indeed a bunch of anime series' and movies that throw in a heaping helping of weird.  Sometimes that weird makes sense for the story, sometimes that weird hides away a deeper meaning.  Then there's those features that are just flat-out strange...so much so that it makes your head hurt!

Hell, for all I know there's a name for the 'weird' genre of anime.  There's so much weird content out there that it's clear some anime creators strive to make some of the strangest situations and references they can cram into a series.  Those weird scenes may pile up so much that they overtake the actual story!  It takes a lot of time and focus to find out if those strange moments actually mean anything.


Out of all the series' I've seen over the years, I'd have to give my nod to the 2-episode Puni Puni Poemy.  I remember reading a review of the show in a magazine, and on the off-chance I thought I'd give it a go based on that.  When I sat down to watch it, I was absolutely blown away by what I had seen.  Blown away in a sense that none of it seemed to mean anything.  I felt like I had watched a really long, loud, incomprehensible scream for about an hour.  Not exactly the type of feeling I go for from anime.

What was the weirdest anime series or film you've ever seen?  It might take some time to mentally sift through all the content that you watched, but I'm hoping you can come up with something.  I also hope it wasn't content that managed to twist your mind to this very day!

5 comments:

  1. I was going to say Puni Puni Poemy when I saw the post title in my RSS feed but you beat me to it!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'd have to say Nerima Daikon Brothers. I'd would have said Poemy but RMC beat me to it :( But come on... An anime Musical for christsake :S

    ReplyDelete
  3. Bobobo-bo Bo-Bobo is definitely the weirdest anime I've seen. I haven't seen the whole thing, but I've read more of the manga. It is really crazy and you never know what's going to happen next.

    Other weird ones I've seen are Guardian Hearts and Panty and Stocking with Garterbelt.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I agree with Blarglehop on the Bobobo-Bo-BoBo, its the weirdest anime I've ever seen, and thats probably why I like it the way I do

    ReplyDelete
  5. Yeah Bobobo-bo Bo-bobo was weird, but it was weird so much that you got desensitized to it after awhile XD

    ReplyDelete