Sunday, August 14, 2011

Converting anime collections from disc to digital

Being an anime fan takes up a lot of time.  It also takes up a lot of money as well.  The longer you're an anime fan, the more time and money the hobby is going to eat up.  What you might not notice at first is just how much space all that anime takes up.  As the months roll on, you fill more and more shelves with anime.  Before you know it, it's time for a new shelf...or two...or three.

My anime collection has spread from three different shelves over to a fourth.  With my game collection constantly growing, both my anime and game spreads are fighting for space on the shelves that I have.  On top of all that, I only have so much space to keep putting up shelves.  Eventually my anime collection is going to be stealing precious living room space that I just can't give up!

I've been thinking about taking my anime collection to the digital side of things.  That would definitely save a ton of space, and I'd still get to keep my anime collection!  Of course, some major issues are brought up by this.  While you can legally own plenty of digital anime, it's not exactly right to rip DVDs onto your computer, even if you do own a series.  I just don't feel right doing that.

On the other side of that argument, should I really have to purchase digital versions of disc-based anime that I already own?  That doesn't seem very fair at all!  I'm just looking to save space and still try to support anime. It's a tough decision, and one that will have to be made pretty quickly while I still have space to work with.  I'm going to figure out what I need to do, but it's not going to be pretty!

How much of your anime collection is digital versus physical?  Do you find yourself running out of space as well?  How do you deal with the space issues that anime collecting creates?

4 comments:

  1. I already had to buy a shelf for my Nendoroids and now I am thinking I need another for my new anime dvds.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Frankly, my space for anime is completely gone. I've just got stacks and stacks of it, and I'm completely at a loss as to where to put it, so the make-shift piles just keep getting bigger.

    That said, none of my collection is digital. I like having physical copies of my anime. Though that's obviously becoming a major problem for me as far as storage space goes.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm not quite there yet but I'm pretty sure I'll get there pretty soon.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Then you'll run out of space for the files and then all the external hard drives you will have to buy will be competing for shelf space :P

    ReplyDelete