Tuesday, August 16, 2011

My history with the Dragon Ball Z series


I don't think I even need to explain the Dragon Ball series to anyone.  It's one of those anime features that far transcends the usual reach of anime TV programming.  While it took awhile to get going in the states, the series built up a huge legion of fans.  Epic battles and characters clashing in some of the most outrageous locations you can think of.  Dragon Ball will catch the eyes of anyone out there, even if it's only for a few seconds.

Back in high school I was introduced to Dragon Ball Z through early morning cartoons.  I used to get ready for school and then chill out on the couch.  I'd have a bowl of cereal and a cartoon running while I ate.  Back then, networks showed a bunch of cartoons for their morning lineup.  That's how I randomly stumbled upon Dragon Ball Z, and I had no idea what the hell I was watching.

I dropped into the series in the middle of a fight, which I'm sure isn't surprising for anyone that has seen the show!  I don't know what it was that tickled my fancy with the show, but I was hooked in just a couple episodes.  I guess I hadn't seen anything that took action and fighting to that sort of level.  Certainly no live-action show, nor any other cartoon that I had come across.  Then when I learned that each episode was part of a long continuing story, I was sold.

Mornings before school got a lot more interesting once I found Dragon Ball Z!  I actually liked waking up and getting ready.  I went through the motions as quickly as possible, just to make sure I could watch a Dragon Ball Z episode uninterrupted.  That show got me through just about every high school morning I could think of, and it also lead me to check out some of the games and purchase some merchandise along the way.  For those 4 years, I was all about Dragon Ball Z.

Then when I got out of high school...it was all over.  My schedule completely changed and I wasn't awake to watch Dragon Ball Z anymore.  I also didn't have the money to purchase any DVDs that were out at the time, and my connection with the series just drifted away.  As the years rolled on, the series got more and more popular in the states, and now I feel like I'm left behind!  It's too late for me to get back into things, and I only remember certain points of what I have seen.

It's funny how I went from being a huge fan back down to knowing next to nothing about the entire series.  I feel a bit ashamed about how it all fell apart, but I guess that's how things go when you're growing up.  Schedules change, priorities shift and your work get in the way of all that fun stuff.  Now that I'm running an anime blog, I realize just how long I've been away from the series, and how I really do miss it!

5 comments:

  1. Due to my Mom thinking it was too violent, I missed Dragonball Z as a kid for the most part. Luckily when I was older I discovered the manga.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Some of my earliest memories (from sometime in the 80's) are my dad mentioning a popular Japanese cartoon called Dragon Ball. Fast forward to late 1993, and my cousin shows me this Super Famicom game called Dragon Ball Z Super Butoden 2.

    "The screen splits in half in the middle of a fight! You can shoot fireballs by just tapping the A button!! You can FLY!!! HOLY SH--, HOW DID YOU THROW THAT GIGANTIC FIREBALL?!?!?!"

    My mind was forever blown. About half a year later I had my first Dragon Ball animation experience. A friend had lent my older brother a tape with the second Broly film as well as The Plan to Eradicate the Saiyans. All the charaters were better and cooler than I imagined them from months playing that game.

    To this day I get excited when a Dragon Ball anime or game is announced. I always come back to those first experiences, and I feel that enthusiasm all over again. Regardless of the end result, it's always great to feel that joy all over again.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yeah being a kid in elementary school and seeing all this crazy fighting.

    How could I not like it XD

    ReplyDelete
  4. i used to watch Dragonball and Dragonball z on toonami

    ReplyDelete
  5. I remember being in 6th grade and one of my friends said there was a a show where a green guy gets his arm cut off. Watched it that afternoon on toonami and my anime fandom began.

    ReplyDelete