Friday, August 5, 2011

The State of Anime: How Did We Get Here?

There are thousands, if not millions of people that have a passion for anime.  Those people know what anime is all about, and can appreciate the stories that are told and the visual style used to present them.  Each form of entertainment has some truly stand-out examples of the best that there is to offer, and anime is no different.  Respected critics have all given their approval of select anime series' and films.  We all get it...but why do so many others not?

I've given out my mission statement a million times over on this blog.  I contemplate it with every article that I write.  What I haven't done until today is wonder just how we got to where we are now.  This might be a hard thing to figure out, considering how I'm in the very great company of you anime-loving guys and gals.  I need to experience more of the other side of the argument to really see what's going on.

Take a look at my 'Skewed Comment' feature.  We've had at least one new entry every week, and that's only because I pick the worst of the worst that I find.  You've seen how negative some people can be towards anime, but there are many others just like that.  When I try to talk to those people about expanding their horizons, I've had mixed results.  What I've definitely seen is that these haters cannot give one actual reason why they dislike anime.

How in the world did we get here?  How did we get to this stereotype?  Everyone that hasn't given anime a shot thinks its weird...or perverted...or both.  Every stereotype comes from some little shred of truth down the line.  I want to know when that moment was where some form of anime really set people off on the tangent we see now.  It's always an uphill battle for anime.  Other entertainment forms have struggled along the way, but they've since showed the world why they were wrong.  Anime is currently sitting pretty low when it comes to public opinion, and we really need to know why in order to climb out.

We can't fight the good fight unless we know what we're up against.  I shudder to think that it's pure ignorance that we're facing, but that's certainly a possibility.  Once again, it comes from those long-standing stereotypes that seem to have no specific catalyst.  Please keep in mind that I'm referring to those that hate anime for no reason, and not those that have given the style a shot and just not found it up to their tastes.

If only we could get everyone to that same point.  Just to try anime and decide for themselves, instead of basing their decision on someone else's negative comments.

1 comment:

  1. Pretty much all those loli animes...That is how we got to where we are today. And then people on Youtube expose those elements and make it worse.

    ReplyDelete